Subject: Re: Bugs with shadow maps...
From: [email-masked] (Terry Wester)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 20:46:06 -0800

> >         Hey.  I just tried rendering an animation which used shadow maps.
> > It rendered the first frame properly, and then I got a GPF as it was
> > calculating the shadow maps for the second frame.  I tried starting the
> > rendering again, at frame 2, this time, and it rendered frame 2 properly,
> > but it crashed once more while calculating the shadow maps for frame 3.  
> >         Does anyone know what the problem is.  The animation renders fine
> > using raytraced shadows, but it take about 3 times as long, so I'd prefer to
> > use shadow maps.  
> > 
> I also noticed this problem back in November with LightWave 4.0B.  I 
> reported it to NewTek and even uploaded a scene file and oject files to 
> them to reproduce the problem.  I also had to ray trace shadows instead 
> of shadow mapping them.  I have not tried the same scene with rev C yet.  
> Are you using rev C?  This is a serious problem and I thought NewTek would 
> have fixed it in the rev C release.

I had a problem similar to this and I turned off all rendering display
option, and it seemed to solve it.  I also saved a few seconds per frame on
my render times.  

Hope this helps,

Terry Wester